Ukulele


I guess it's just one of those instruments that no one really expects anyone to know how to play. And it's definitely not every day that you run into someone who has their own ukulele (I've posted a picture of the inside of my ukulele). Now all of you who know me can say "I know someone who owns a ukulele and plays it."
I've just started to learn to play this unique instrument. For someone who's been playing a string instrument for over 25 years, you'd think I'd be a little better at it, but noooooo. A few months ago my mother got it into her head that all of her children would appreciate their heritage more if they could play the ukulele. I think it would have gone over better if she had just taken the whole gang to Hawaii for some quality family time. Nevertheless, all six of her children now own their very own ukulele's. I think she's envisioning a kind of brown version of the Von Trapp family singers. Anyways, I had a little "jam session" with my mom and two of my brothers last night and all I have to say is "it could have been worse". Actually we were able to muddle through a few songs (once you get down the C, F, G7, C7, and Cm chords you're pretty set for most Hawaiian songs), but I'm pretty sure our Hawaiian pronunciation needs a little work.
I'll wait till we get a little better before I inflict one of our performances on you. Aloha!

0 comments: