I'm going to do it! Just watch me!

Last week my cousin mentioned that she was going to train for a mini-triathlon and invited me to join her.

"Are you kidding? I don't run. I mean I REALLY don't run!"

But I thought about it, and thought about it, and thought about it some more. And then I checked out the mini-triathlon she mentioned and saw what was involved -- 400 yd swim, 13 mile bike ride, and 2 mile run.

"But I don't run!"

I thought about the horrible fitness rut I'm in. I work out 4 times a week and I'm back to gaining weight. I'm getting desperate. Sooooooo...

I'm going to do it! Just watch me!

I decided that I CAN do it! I'll probably be the last one dragging my keester across the finish line, but I'll have done! The triathlon is scheduled for Thanksgiving morning so I've got six months to train. At first I did not want to tell anyone that I was going to do this. I thought I'd be able to avoid any embarrassment if I fail. However, I decided that I'm going to blog about this experience. It is my hope that others who may see that what may seem be insurmountable is eventually possible with a whole lot of hard work and effort.

Today I started training. I'm using the "Coach Potato to 5K" podcast to help with my running. I'm serious when I say I don't run -- I've got a metal plate in nine screws in my right ankle, and arthritis in it ta'boot. So this is the first time I've run since probably 1980 and there was less of me back then to drag around the track. Today's "run" felt pretty good. I've found that the "day-of" a new exercise is usually pretty good, it the "day-after" that kills ya. I'll let you know if I'm still walking tomorrow.

Anyways, that's the story. Any of you who would like to join me in my little adventure is more than welcome to (I think I've talked my mom and dad into joining me)...the more the merrier.

Hopefully in 6 months you'll see me crossing that finish line, on my own two feet. :)

7 comments:

Natalie said...

okay, so I was gonna keep my mouth shut, until my mom says, "hey, did you know Megan is going to do the triathlon?" Uh..uh...I didn't know how to answer. I guess the word is out!

I AM THRILLED! And so excited that your mom and dad will join us! When the time gets closer we'll have to go on runs or rides together!

Merfy said...

AWESOME! I wish they would do biathlons that are swim bike because I HATE to run too! Good luck! I know you can do it. I came in last place for the women in my first one - seriously the winner had already left so she could go get in a work out! HA - I finished though - even walking part of the run!

Donna said...

Megan,
You have really got me thinkin'...maybe I should do it, too??? I think it's great, and Natalie loves doing it. Good luck, you will do just fine!
Love,
Auntie Donna

CeeJ said...

Good for you! I'll be cheering for ya! :)

{Jeff+Elisa} said...

Meg, of course you CAN DO IT!! I still have yet to find something that my incredible sister in law can't do!!! Gosh, I'm still kinda tempted but I guarantee you that I would be way behind you...I just can't see myself dog paddling that whole entire way. Either way I promise to be there at the end with a huge hug for ya when you do cross that finish line!! I admire your strength! :)

Nicole Schaub said...

Megan,
I got linked to your blog from Natalie's... I'm new to all of this and am loving reading your blog! Just wanted to cheer you on! You can do it, girl!
Nicole

wix said...

You go, Megan! You'll do great, and I'm glad you're sharing your adventure! Love ya, Kiki