Update -- Baby Karlie

Good Morning from beautiful Rexburg, ID. I spent an hour at the hospital with Kiki this morning. She will be released this afternoon, and is doing really well. Baby Karlie has had some ups and downs. The doctors said that Karlie had pneumonia when she was born and yesterday they told Kiki and Jared that there was a small hole in her lung which may have been caused by the CPAP which pushed air in to her lungs after birth. This normally wouldn't have caused such problems, but her lungs were weak because of the pneumonia. So now Karlie is going through a course of antibiotics to recover from the pneumonia and waiting for the hole to heal. As of about 2 hours ago the doctor said that the last x-ray didn't show any escaping air, so that was really good, put they could still see the pneumonia. They did put her back on the CPAP machine cause her oxygen count was low. (Now keep in mind, I'm not going to swear to all this in a court of law, but this is what I've been able to gleen from all the conversations). The doctor and Kiki and Jared seem pretty positive, but all the prayers you can send this family's was would be greatly appreciated.

I got to see Karlie for the first time this morning, but wouldn't you know I didn't bring my camera with me (I really wasn't expecting to be able to see the baby and goodness know Kiki doesn't want any pictures taken of her). She is soooo adorable and of course has the softest skin on all the earth (I got to touch her little hand). Fortunately, Jared took some pictures of Karlie during her first day. So here ya go...

FIRST, here's Kiki and Jared just before Kiki delivered.


Please note her fabulous hair line -- all business on top and a party on the sides. :)
Here's Karlie with the CPAP machine hooked up.
Some of you may recognize the "Kate Weichers" sign she's "throwin'" It looks suspiciously like those two middle fingers are in her mouth.
I'll try to keep ya'll posted on the changes and goings on, at least until Sunday when I head back to AZ -- hopefully minus the wicked car sickness (aggghhh!!!).

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Awwww! I love babies! What a beautiful baby. I hope things are okay with her and that she'll recover soon from the pneumonia. yay for you!!

Rick & Diana said...

This sounds sooo much like what happend with my Ian. He was 3 weeks early and his lungs weren't totaly ready, (even though the amnio said they were) and he got fluid in his lungs thus causing his pneumonia! He was in the NICU for 10 days so my prayers go out that she will be home soon. It isn't any fun but this too will pass! :)

Andi Cook said...

Another gorgeous Weichers baby! Thanks for the update. We will keep Kiani in our prayers.