Grandma & Grandpa Schaub

Every Thursday night my dad goes out to eat with his parents. Until recently he would meet them at the Peter Piper Pizza restaurant a few miles from their house. As Grandpa's health has been declining, Dad now just picks up dinner and goes over to their house.

Last week I joined him in taking Chick-fil-A over there and had a great time visiting them. I promised G'ma I'd bring my camera back the following Thursday so that I could take pictures of her recent sewing projects.

Last night I met my dad over at Grandma and Grandpa Schaub's house for a little pizza. Grandpa seemed a little better since last week, apparently the new diabetes medication he started has helped a little (though he now says he get a little light headed because of the medication). I snapped some pictures of them while we ate, visited, and of course played cards. I had a difficult time getting Grandma to look at me while I was taking pictures, she just kept saying she hadn't fixed her hair and didn't have any lipstick on. I think my grandmother is beautiful and looked perfect just the way she was last night. Grandpa didn't seem to have any problems smiling for me. He has always been such a happy man, and handsome too.

My grandmother is a wonderful seamstress. She has sewed all of her life. In the past few years she has been sewing for orphans in Africa. It is a passion of hers. Though now limited to an hour or two a day, because of her age, she still sews piles and piles of clothes, dolls, bags, and toys to be taken by an aid agency to the children in Africa. Throughout her whole life, my grandmother's hands have been busy in service. I've always believed that you can tell a lot about a person by their hands. As you can see my Grandma Schaub has beautiful hands.

I had to coax a smile out of her.Here are a few shots of my cute grandpa.
And finally, a few very familiar scenes for my Schaub family members. Whenever I think of my grandparents, I will think of these.And last, but not least, here's me...If you'll notice, I don't have any wilds. It was a lousy hand, only 2 wild cards the whole hand. Poor Grandma was my partner, and Grandpa and Dad skunked us so bad we actually gave up after two hands. :)

6 comments:

Donna said...

Megan,
That was such a sweet tribute to Grandma and Grandpa...thanks for doing that! I loved the playing card photos. That always reminds me of all the Schaub get-togethers. Until I met Ken and the Schaub's I had nevered played card games... and boy I sure have made up for lost time! Each reunion I learn several new ones. I can't remember them but I just add them to my list of many games I have learned as a Schaub.
Love you Megan and thanks again for this great post!
Auntie Donna

Jessica said...

You are great at photography, Megan! I do have to say your dad looks a little like Dr. J.... and that's a good thing : ) You must living so close to your family!

wix said...

Megan--what precious pictures! LOVE them. I need copies. Love ya, Kiki

jeana said...

ohhhh I LOVE those photos :) great post Megan! see you Sunday!

Merfy said...

Thanks Megan! I was talking to an older sister in my ward the other day that mentioned that she felt like she wasn't of much use anymore. What a wonderful tribute to a woman still making a difference in the world! You are never to old to help others.

Natalie said...

I love this post! Especially the pics of the cards...classic!