2009 -- New Year's Day

As I have done for the past several years, I spent New Year's Day at Mesquite Wash. My family has a tradition of spending the day riding ATVs, eating, playing games, and just having fun together on New Year's Day for many years. I have old memories of all six of us kids in our blue Astro van (we named it "Farley") bouncing around in the back as my dad drove the very rough rode into our favorite spot in the Mesquite Wash. We are still going to the same area today. Now the roads are much worse (they've washed out over the past years) and much more frequently traveled by others, and we've got much better toys to play with (my dad has 2 ATVs which I LOVE).

So this year, my dad, jeff, ellie and i joined other family and friends for some fun. The weather was PERFECT and we had a blast (except for a plethora of bees which seemed to plague our site, yuck!). We spent some time eating, playing games, and visiting with family.

My cousin Brigett was there with her husband Brad and their adorable kids. The little ones loved digging through the mucky sand in the nearby wash. There was enough water flowing through most of the washes that there was plenty of mud to be splashed around.

We had a blast with all of the ATVs and Rhino's. There was more than enought fun to go around. Here I am on Dad's red bike.

And our outing would not be complete with out some shooting of guns. Jeff brought out his small .22 pistol and then another bigger gun (I don't know what it was called but it looked like one of those old fashion gun slinger guns). I did shoot the .22 pistol, though I wasn't very good. But there was no way Jeff would let me touch his other gun, even if I wanted to.

Our good friends/family the Browns joined us this year. In fact it was a rather momentous occasion as all 5 of the Brown girls were there. It was been YEARS since all 5 of them have been at the same place at the same time. I just had to capture the even on film.
Tricia, Melissa, Katie, Callie, and Lindsey

All in all it was a great way to begin 2009.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

What a cool tradition! Wish we had some fun toys like that : ) Glad you had a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year!

{Jeff+Elisa} said...

It was a great way to start off the year even if there were a million bees buzzing around and our split pea soup was cold!! :( At least we had your delicious oatmeal cookies to fill our tummy! You should have just shot Jeff's other gun...he needs to be better about sharing his toys!! Ha ha!!

Melissa Yergensen said...

Thank you for posting that pic Megan! And thanks for the link to your picasa. I LOVE the pictures!!!