Kara's Birthday Luau

My niece Kara's 1st birthday luau was held two weekends ago and I'm just now getting around to posting details. Part of Hawaiian culture is having a luau for a baby's 1st birthday, so Justin and Rachel through a hum-dinger of a party. We had it at a park out in Gilbert -- In my humble opinion one of THE BEST parks I've ever been to in my life. I'm an adult and I LOVE the place. The family was there and there was TONS of FOOD! Justin grilled terri-chicken (by the ton). He also made potato-mac salad and sticky rice. Mom made inari-suzshi and Hawaiian salad dressing (basically a toned-down version of thousand island). I made Uncle David's Chicken long rice. And there was of course fruit and a great cake Rachel's sister made. The birthday girl took it all with stride. Here are a few of the highlights....

Justin with Jacob & Tyler in the party-duds.Kara enjoying her chicken long rice -- I think chicken long rice probably tastes better when eaten in this manner.
The birthday girl enjoying her (traditional) first birthday cake all by herself. It took a little persuasion and some demonstrating by her older brother Jacob, but she soon got the hang of it.


Reed and Jamie.Ellie, Jeff, Mom, and Dad trying to stay warm. It was actually pretty cold and breezy for AZ, but then again who can really complain with this type of weather in January.Happy Birthday Kara!

0 comments: