Yum, Yum, Homemade Potstickers

I have a new addiction...food blogs! I've totally gotten into cooking again and I'm feeding my new passion by consuming all of the food blogs I can find. The best of the best, just for your info, is www.tastespotting.com. You've got to check it out!

So in honor of my revitalized passion for food I've been making a ton of food. I've quickly run into a new problem though, I'm single. That means every time I make something new, I end up eating it for days. Monday I made homemade pasta (with homemade pesto and feta cheese), ate that for 2 dinners and a lunch. Wednesday night I made corn, white bean, and ham soup, ate it for lunch today and still have a bunch in the fridge. I need a husband who likes to eat.

And tonight I decided to try my hand at Homemade Potstickers. Oh My Goodness!!! They turned out amazing. So amazing that I just have to share them with you. First, I preface this whole thing with a warning...making potstickers is a bit time consuming, but WOW do they taste good.

So here's the instructions and some photos to go with it...

Potsticker Filling - makes a ton (about 4 doz.)
1/2 head of napa cabbage - shredded finely
2 tsp of salt

1 lb. ground pork
1 TBS. corn starch
6 green onions - finely chopped
3 TBS soy sauce
1/2 in. piece of ginger - grated
3 garlic gloves - grated
1/2 tsp. sesame oil

Thinly shred the cabbage and toss it with the salt. Set this aside in a tea towel so that some of the moisture will be leached out of the cabbage. Allow it to sit for 15-20 min. While it sits you can mix the rest of the ingredients together.
In a bowl combine all of the remaining ingredients. The key to good filing is to make all of the ingredients as small possible. Finally, add the cabbage (after squeezing out the water) to the meat mixture.
I used wonton wrappers to package the potstickers. The are found in the organic section in the produce area. I used the small ones in this case. I just added a small dollop of mixture to the center of the wrapper, wipe the edges of the wrapper with a bit of water (I just dunked my finger in water and wiped it around the edge) to help the seal stick. Pinch the edges of the wrapper together.To cook, heat a pan and add about a tablespoon of oil to the pan. I pan fried the potstickers for about 2 minutes. Due to the number of potstickers the are made I actually had to do a couple of batches. After I pan fried each batch I added a pit more oil to the pan, if necessary.
After I pan fried all the pot stickers, I added about an inch of chicken broth to the pan and then "boiled" the potstickers for about 5 minutes to finish cooking them. Again, cooking the potstickers in batches of about a dozen. I put them on a cookie sheet when they were done cooking.

Pot Sticker Dipping Sauce
3 TBS soy sauce
1 TBS sweet chili sauce
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. sesame oil

Serve the delicious potstickers hot with the dipping sauce. Yum!!!!!

4 comments:

Nik said...

Those look AMAZING!
Feel free to send your leftover food my way...
;)

Donna said...

Okay, Megan,
We got to have a girls night here and you cook for all us! We can watch movies and enjoy all your yummy recipes!
Let me know when and let's do it!
Love,
Auntie Donna

Rachelle said...

I am such a foodie now too. I love potstickers. I will have to try out your recipe. I just started a food blog, pantryeats.blogspot.com

wix said...

Add that to the list of foods to make when you come up!