How Much for the Red Sparkly Shoes?

That's what the woman asked me at my folk's yard sale yesterday. "How much for the red sparkly shoes?" When I look down at my niece Audrey's old red glitter mary-jane I remembered all of the times she would come running into my parents house on Sunday evening to stick out her toes and say "Look at my shooooes." She loved that they were red, loved that they sparkled, and loved the attention she got when she wore them.

Saturday morning was the big community yard sale day. I went over to my parents to help them out. My brother Reed and his wife Jamie (they are professional yard salers -- they know everything there is to know about the sport) brought over the kids along with their sale items. As Jamie was putting out the shoes, she told me that she had a difficult discussion with Audrey about putting up her favorite shoes for sale, because they no longer fit her. It dawned on me that all the kids are growing up so fast. It's hard to see them out grow things, activities, and clothes.

The woman asking about the shoes mentioned that she had a 3 year old daughter who loved to play dress up and the shoes would be perfect. I smiled and told her $2 and she took them. I hope her daughter gets as much enjoyment out of them as Audrey did.

1 comments:

Jamie Schaub said...

I love this tribute post! And the picture! Thanks for journaling something so close to Audrey's heart, her SHOES! :)