Arthur Lee Schaub - 10 Oct 1918-26 Jun 2009

My Grandpa Schaub passed away Friday night, June 26th. He was 90 years old. His passing was bitter-sweet. I'm terribly sad to have him gone. However, his quality of life in the past month had deteriorated so significantly that I hated to watch him suffer.

I love my grandpa. He has always been such a strong example of dedication, hard work, personal integrity, commitment, and unconditional love. He flew on a bomber during WWII, and always had such respect and love for his country. Grandpa Schaub was also a wonderful example of a dedicated priesthood holder. Eveytime I have ever met anyone from their old Phoenix ward they almost always say the same thing, "Your grandfather was my bishop and he was one of the best bishops I've ever had."

I'll always remember the "buzzzzzzz" he would do to each baby in our family, as he waved his finger around till it came for a landing on your tickle spots. Or the way he rolled his dice, swiftly and decisively (the same way he approached his golf balls).And more than anything, I will remember my Grandpa Schaub every time I sit down to play a game of cards.Grandpa Schaub will be sorely missed.

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

Wow. Two grandpas in one month. What a wonderful upbeat attitude you have about it. Grandpas always hold a special place in our hearts.

Natalie said...

Thanks Meg! That was a sweet tribute! I agree...playing cards will never be the same!

Donna said...

Megan,
Love your post...Grandpa Schaub and Grandpa Johnson are 2 very special men and they will be missed by all of us! Thanks, for the sweet words on Grandpa Schaub!
Love you,
Auntie Donna

{Jeff+Elisa} said...

Meg, you always word things so perfectly! Gosh, that got me all teary eyed! Grandpa Schaub was the best and since I never really had any grandpa's he filled that spot for me. I'm so glad that Jeff and I were able to visit him in the hospital before he passed. I knew it hurt him to talk but he still gave me a hug and told me that he loved me. So sad, but he is in a better place! The funeral will be nice way to remember all the amazing things he did for everyone. Thanks again for writing that!