Enjoying the Fruits of My Labor

I partook of the fruits of my labors today...literally. I've been babying a couple of tomato plants that I started from seed last August. You're probably saying, "why in the world would you start tomato plants so late in the season?" I know, i know, but I just couldn't resist. We had a Relief Society enrichment class taught on container gardening and I brought home a bunch of tomato seeds in those peat soil pellets (the photo at the left was taken September 1st). I couldn't just toss them, they had potential!

I've been babying them along since August. Not all of the original plants survived, but 4 of them did. I put two plants in each of two pots. One pot has 2 Early Girl tomato plants and one pot has 2 Sweet 100 tomato plants. A few weeks ago the night time temperatures really started to drop so I loaded up my pots into a red flyer wagon and wheeled the plants into the garage. During the day, I wheel them out to the yard so they can soak up the sun, and then they retire for the evening in the comfy garage. They're rather pampered plants, and this is perhaps the reason it has taken them so long to come to fruition.

Anyways, my efforts paid off today. I harvested my first tomatoes...notice that was the plural of tomato. I harvested not one but TWO sweet 100 tomatoes. Behold, the plant from which I harvested my bounty.


Here are the perfect little sweet 100's which are about to be harvested.

And here I am swooping in to pluck them from the vine.

Unfortunately there are no pictures of me popping them into my mouth, but I can report they were delicious.

Now I'm just waiting for these beauties to ripen.


2 comments:

Merfy said...

Love it Megan!! There is little better than eating fresh produce you have worked so hard to get!!!

Susan said...

Congratulations! They look BEAUTIFUL!