Survived the "Long Climb"

About 3 weeks ago my dad and I were watching some travel show on the Grand Canyon. My dad is a frequent hiker of the Grand Canyon (1-2 times a year) and we ended of having the following conversation:

Dad: "Megan, when was the last time you hiked the Grand Canyon."

Megan: "It would have to be when I was about 13, so that was XX years ago." ;)

Dad: "Do you think you would like to do it again?"

Megan: "Sure, someday."

Dad: "How about we go hike to Indian Gardens over conference weekend."

Megan: "OK."

Aggghhhh!!!!!

So I busted my butt for 2 1/2 weeks on the stair climber at the gym and I learned one thing...IT DOESN"T WORK!

Nothing prepares you for a 3,000 ft climb, for 4.5 mile (one way, so 9 miles round trip), at 7,889 feet above sea level. Certainly not the the stupid stair climber at the gym!

Nevertheless, I had a great time with my dad. We drove up Friday after work, put up the tent trailer at the Mather's Campground.

Saturday we started the hike down into the Canyon at 7:30am. It took us about 3 hours to get down to Indian Gardens. We had lunch there while I dangled my feet in the creek. Then we hiked out at about 11:30am. We reached the top at 5:20pm.

I know, I know, we took forever getting out. That was because of me. I had to stop about every 20 feet to suck wind. After about a 1 mile I sounded like a child's squeaky toy due to the altitude + asthma. My father was the epitome of patience and kindness and stuck with me through it all, through the three-year old and his parents passing us by (no kidding), and the old Chinese couple passing us by, and even the girl in flip-flop sandles passing us by.

However, I persevered and have the pictures to prove it.

I CAN DO HARD THINGS!

5 comments:

{Jeff+Elisa} said...

Awwww Meg, you can do hard things and that's been proven by you countless times!! Megan= amazing!! I would have died, seriously. What a great accomplishment! :) You inspire me!

kimber said...

Congratulations! That's an awesome accomplishment! I've never done that, but you've inspired me, I totally want to.

Stacie S-H said...

wow that is awesome. i am not good at hiking at all but great job! def. not easy

Donna said...

Megan,
You really can do hard things! I am so impressed! You are an example to all of us!
The views in your photos are awesome, but seeing you there, is inspiring...you actually hiked the Grand Canyon-what an accomplishment...congrats!!!!
Love you,
Auntie Donna

Rushton's said...

Loved your signature...I can do hard things. You do many amazingly hard things and I just watch you in awe. Great reminder for us all. Beautiful photos of the canyon.