New Church Calling - Relief Society President

So I got a new calling in church last Sunday. First, I have to tell you that I've been a Gospel Doctrine Teacher since June of last year, and I LOVED it. I only had to teach every other week, so preparing lessons was something I really looked forward to. There was soooo much I learned this last year and my testimony really grew.

When the Bishop asked to see me two weeks ago, I really wasn't expecting a change. Since he's fairly new, I thought it was a "get-to-know-you" kind of interview...It wasn't.

Last Sunday I was sustained as the East Relief Society President (because of the size - people and geography -- of our ward, we actually have 2 Relief Societies). My counselors are Kristi Jackson, Sheila Towle, and Robin Hakes.

This has been a humbling experience. Interestingly enough, I was still scheduled to teach Sunday School last week and the lesson was on the Prophet Enoch. When the Lord calls Enoch to serve, this is his response (Moses 6:31-32):

31 And when Enoch had heard these words, he bowed himself to the earth, before the Lord, and spake before the Lord, saying: Why is it that I have found favor in thy sight, and am but a lad, and all the people hateme; for I am slow of speech; wherefore am I thy servant?

32 And the Lord said unto Enoch: Go forth and do as I have commanded thee, and no man shall pierce thee. Open thy mouth, and it shall be filled, and I will give thee utterance, for all flesh is in my hands, and I will do as seemeth me good.

I know EXACTLY how Enoch felt...except for the "lad" part. :) However, the Lord called me so, as long as I put forth the effort, He'll qualify me. But any extra prayers you send my way would be greatly appreciated.

7 comments:

Marie Nelson said...

Megan, I am thrilled with this new news! You will be a wonderful R.S. president! Congratulations!

jeana said...

Megan... I am so excited for you, and for the east side relief society! :) You have the biggest heart and are an amazing woman, and I have no doubt that you are going to do a fabulous job!

Love you!

Stacie S-H said...

oh wow, now you can teach them all how to scrapbook!! lol congrats on the calling. I'd just die if I got called to do that. I HATE being in the spotlight/up in front of people every week. But Im sure you will do great. Very cool!

Melissa Yergensen said...

Oh wow! You are going to be the best RS President ever! I thought of saying "congratulations" but ... since I have been the secretary for our RS Pres in our ward for over a year now ... I kind of understand that congratulations might not be the best word to use. It's hard work ... and rewarding ... and I really can't think of anyone else who would do a more fantastic job than you!

Merfy said...

You will be wonderful Megan!

wix said...

We're praying for you, but we know what an inspired lady you are! Love ya!

{Jeff+Elisa} said...

Meg, if it makes you feel better I think you have the ability to be the general relief society president for the whole entire church...don't move to UT cause I'm sure the prophet wouldn't hesitate for a second to give you that calling. I know I've told you before but I will tell you again that I think you are simply phenomenal and you inspire me to make me want to be better and do better and every women that comes in contact with you in your ward should consider it a blessing!

I can completely see why you were given that calling and I know you will rise to the occasion with your strong faith and desire to serve others!

Sorry that was so long but I do have a testimony of Megan Schaub! :) You will be in my prayers! I know this calling is just something else you will add your sparkle to and make amazing! :) LOVE YOU!