I did it! My first sprint-triathlon.

I only have this sorry little picture of my race number with my tennis shoes that I took tonight. I knew that I couldn't go to bed (yes, it's only 8pm and I'm getting ready to go to bed) without recording something about this day. Fortunately or unfortunately, I didn't have a camera with me today so I was unable to record anything with it. However, if I did have a camera this is what I would have taken pictures of at my first sprint-triathlon race:

My Transition Space
I set my bike on the bike rack with the approximately 200 other bikes and set up a blue clean-sheet about 2 feet wide by 3 feet tall on the ground to the left of my bike. On it I folded my towel, placed my running shoes (precisely unlaced) and in each shoe was my sock with baby powder in it. Above my shoes were my bike helmet and riding gloves and sun glasses. And at the top was my backpack and an almost empty bottle of water (NOTE TO SELF: bring more water bottles next time).

The Cool Smooth Water of the Pool and It's 10 Lanes at 5AM
The race took place at the Jewish Community Center in Scottsdale, AZ. Their pool was cool and beautiful. It's amazing how much longer the lanes looked than the lanes I had been training in. At 7:16AM as I was in the water at the start of the first lane I heard, "One, two, three. Go" and I pushed off from the wall in an underwater glide to start my first sprint-triathlon race.

The Timing Pads
We wore timing chips around our ankles and so I had to make sure and cross the timing pad after I climbed out of the pool to run to the transition area and then once again after I returned from biking 9.5miles to transition into the 2 mile run. The final timing pad was under the finish line.

The Sea of Athletes Milling Around the Bike Racks
As I mentioned earlier there were about 200 adults and about 30 children competing in today's sprint-triathlon. The children ran first in their own modified race (there were kids there who could totally whip me). The gamut of athletes ranged from truly, full-time professional triathletes and ironman runners to people like me and there were as many women as there were men. It was amazing to see all the expensive equipment, special tri-suits, and toned bodies and then there was me. However, we all endured the same trials and ultimately we all crossed the same finish line.

Me Crossing the Finish Line

I did it! In fact as I was completing the final 1/4 mile of the run (mostly walk on my part) I actually got a little chocked up. I've busted my butt to do this and I did it. I kept thinking to myself , "I can do hard things." I think that may be my new life's mantra.

I CAN DO HARD THINGS.

If you don't believe me, I'll show you my number.

BTW: final "unofficial" race time 1hr 24min.

7 comments:

Donna said...

Megan,
You certainly can! I am so excited for you! What an accomplishment-wow! Keep it up, you know you can do it!!!
Love and best to you,
Auntie Donna

Natalie said...

Yay! I am SO PROUD of you! It is such an accomplishment! And that is a GREAT time by the way!

Are you still on for Thanksgiving Day? You better be!

Congrats girl-

Nat

Unknown said...

Great job Megan! I knew you would be able to do it. Keep training hard!


Steve

kimber said...

Congratulations Megan! That's awesome! There's one in Sept. at lake Powell I'm thinking of doing. I'm a little nervous though, and you've given me a bit of a boost.
What a great accomplishment!

Merfy said...

It is so empowering to cross that finish line! Way to go! I love what you said about we all cross the same finish line - whatever shape we are in, we are winners when we cross! You are amazing!

Cassandra Romney said...

Hey Shauna gave me your blog! I hope you dont mind! I think its so cool that you did that! I know that I wouldnt do it even if i could but im proud of you for acomplishing that! Your Great!

Stacie S-H said...

wow that sounds like fun kind of. I am not good at running though and def not @ swimming..i can only dog paddle..lol but the bike part would be cool